Top Tips For First Time Buyers
The recent Help To Buy Scheme launched by the Government has brought a lot of first time buyers into the property market. Purchasing property for the first time can be a daunting experience as it could be the single biggest purchase of your life, so we have pulled together a few helpful bits of advice to follow when looking to buy.
1. Firstly don’t let your heart overrule your head. It is very easy to view a property and fall instantly in love with it but you need to make sure it falls within your budget or your dream home could end up being a nightmare.
2. Don’t just view once. Once you’ve selected a property which fits the bill and is within your price range, go and view it for a second time. On the second viewing you will be able to spot things you may have overlooked the first time and it will help you decide if you’re making the right choice.
3. Don’t be afraid to negotiate if you think the asking price is too high. You may be able to come to a deal with the seller.
4. Carry out searches online to see what similar properties have sold for in the same area. This will allow you to have the knowledge required when submitting an offer for the property.
5. Research the area. As well as researching the value of property in the area you need to research other aspects of the area such as; Does it have good local amenities? Is there a school nearby? It is also worth checking out the other surrounding areas as you just might find they are a better fit to your needs. Take a drive around the location during the evening, those tranquil daytime streets could be a very different story during the twilight hours.
6. If you make an offer on a property, always follow it up in writing and mark it ‘subject to contract.’
7. Be clear about what exactly you are buying. You need to be sure if any kitchen equipment, carpets or even the garden shed is included as part of the sale.
8. Emphasise how quickly and flexible you are. As a first time buyer you will be chain free so are able to offer the seller a quicker sale. It is also important that you have your solicitor and mortgage lender sorted so you are able to act fast if your offer is accepted.
For more information about buying property and to find out what we have on offer in your area please contact your nearest office.
EU Departure: is your business currently in a position to remain successful?
With our departure from the EU, one of the biggest changes in history for UK agriculture, on... Read More
GFW Road Show: Your Business, Your Property, Your Opportunity
We invite you to join us at our GFW Road Show.